17 November 2009

Music: Pieces of...Mike Barden


I "met" Mike Barden on Facebook, I think. Or was it ReverbNation. I dunno. I guess what's most important is that I found him. After spending time being nosey on his FB profile and exchanging a note or two, I found that not only do we share similar interests in music, but - we grew up just 10 miles from one another. We attended the same university... and all these years later (wait- not that many years), though he's really made the rounds, we live not even an hour apart. He frequently performs in venues here in my area.

I don't like speaking for someone else, when they've already done a good job describing themselves, so I'll share his bio from his myspace page, and a couple of links, and let you do your own exploring. But I will post this album cover. I think its a beautiful cover... and this "new age" cd of his happens to be my favorite of all his cd's. He's got some great cd's.... new age, jazz, Christmas. I strongly urge you to check him out!

"Mike Barden is recognized in Wisconsin as a powerful and versatile pianist, capable of performing jazz, classical, and rock styles with equal fluency. His original piano compositions reflect his diverse musical background, and feature a free-wheeling, improvisatory approach. His most recent solo CD release, "Pieces of Peace", features his distinctive style of contemplative improvisation as well as contemporary influences of jazz, blues, and "downbeat" rhythms. As a performer, he continues to play regularly across Wisconsin, as a solo artist and with his jazz-pop ensemble, Uptown. Over his career he has worked with the Neville Brothers, Joe Piscopo's SNL reunion show featuring Victoria Jackson and Father Guido Sarducci, Joan Rivers, Maynard Ferguson, Greg Koch, Janet Planet, Tom Theabo, Tom Washatka, and Tim Dorsey."

http://www.myspace.com/mikebardenpiano

http://www.cdbaby.com/all/mbarden

No comments: